Lifelong Norfolk Resident
Joseph C. Lindsey has been serving the legal needs of Hampton Roads since 1984. He has extensive litigation experience in the federal and state courts and has served the courts of Norfolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Hampton, Newport News, Suffolk, Southampton County and the Eastern Shore for more than 30 years. He is a proficient personal injury, family law, criminal defense, and business attorney.
Joe was born in Norfolk, Virginia. He attended Booker T. Washington High School in Norfolk and was an honor graduate of Hampton Institute with a B.A. degree in Political Science. He earned his law degree from Washington College of Law, American University, in Washington, DC.
Joe formerly served as prosecutor in the Norfolk Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office where he was promoted to Chief Deputy of the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney. Since 1999, Joe has served as a substitute judge for the Commonwealth of Virginia, presiding over cases in the Juvenile & Domestic Relations Courts, and General District Courts of Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, and Newport News.
Joe strongly believes in volunteerism and regularly gives back to his community. He actively volunteers with the American Red Cross in Norfolk, serves as President of Hiawatha Social Club, a member of the Poplar Hall Civic League, and on the Board of Directors for Virginia Institute of Law and Citizenship Studies for Virginia Commonwealth University.
Joe maintains active membership with:
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Old Dominion Bar Association
- Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association
- Southampton Roads Bar Associations (*former Vice President of the Southampton Roads Bar Association)
Additionally, Joe serves as:
- Vice-Chairman of the Virginia State Bar 2nd District Committee on Lawyer Discipline
- Member of the I'Anson-Hoffman Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Executive Committee Member of the Young Lawyers Section of the Norfolk-Portsmouth Bar Association
- Member of the Virginia State Bar Committee on Women and Minorities for the Board of Tidewater Community College
Joe has been married for 28 years to Rhoda Venetia Lindsey. They have two children and 2 grandchildren.